Author

RT

Browsing

Source: RT 

British world boxing champion Billy Joe Saunders has apologized after footage emerged appearing to show him teaching men how to hit their female partners if tensions flare in lockdown during the Covid-19 pandemic.

WBO world super-middleweight champ Saunders, 30, is seen in the footage training with a punchbag in his barn. 

Talking to the camera, the boxer begins by saying: “I just want to make a little video for all you dads, husbands, if you’ve got girlfriends etc.

“Obviously this Covid-19 thing is getting quite serious and we are isolated in tight spaces.

“If your old woman is giving you mouth and you try to be patient, you try to be calm, but after the seventh day or sixth you’re about to explode.

“All of a sudden, she’s coming at you, spitting a bit of venom in your face… I don’t know what you’ve done but you’ve upset her.

“As she’s coming in at you and you’ve lost it, just keep it safe with the hands.

“So as she comes in, she’s just about to say something and you explode and hit her on the chin,” Saunders says, then hammering the punchbag with a right hand.  

In the footage,

Source: RT 

Amidst all the anxiety-inducing developments of the coronavirus pandemic comes a grisly report that a man in India broke out of quarantine in order to nakedly chase after a woman and viciously kill her by biting on her throat.

The horrific slaying took place in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu on Friday when the man, who is in his 30s, ran out of his home naked and violently attacked the throat of a 90-year-old woman who was sleeping outside her house, Times of India reports.

The man, a textile trader, had been isolating because he had recently returned from Sri Lanka; the Indian newspaper also reported that he was “mentally disturbed.”

When neighbors heard the fracas they hurried to the aid of the woman and subdued her crazed assailant. The nonagenarian victim was rushed to a local hospital but tragically she died from her injuries. 

The ghastly homicide compounded the fears of some social media users in India who wondered if it was a sign of an impending “zombie apocalypse.”

Source: RT 

Italian officials have confirmed that at least 10,023 people died in the sweeping coronavirus pandemic, with the number of infected now standing at over 92,000 and the death rate creeping towards 11 percent.

Another night of grim casualty numbers has added 889 deaths in Italy on Saturday, the country’s Civil Protection Agency said. On Friday, Italy recorded its largest daily death toll since the outbreak began, as 919 people died.

The virus-stricken country accounts for more than a quarter of all Covid-19 fatalities worldwide.

Also on rt.com WATCH Russian biodefense troops disinfect nursing home in coronavirus-hit Italy

Nearly twice as many people have died in Italy as in Spain, which has the world’s second-highest number of Covid-19 deaths. Worldwide, more than 645,000 people have been infected by the deadly virus, with just under 30,000 dying.

As casualties mount, the Italian government is reportedly considering an extension to the nationwide lockdown measures currently in place. Newspaper Corriere della Sera reported that the government is planning on extending the lockdown for two weeks beyond its original end date of April 3. While the country’s northern regions are the worst-hit, Michele Emiliano, governor of the southern region of Puglia, told Reuters that

Source: RT 

When you are a 6ft 9in heavyweight champion, exercising at home during a period of self-imposed isolation can be tricky but Tyson Fury isn’t letting the coronavirus situation – or indeed his son – get in the way of his routine.

Fury, who defeated Deontay Wilder by seventh-round corner stoppage in Las Vegas last month, has long espoused the benefits of maintaining an active exercise plan and the benefits that it can have to one’s own mental health. 

READ MORE: ‘Now you see how hard he hits?’ Incredible ringside footage shows Fury’s punching power as he decks Wilder (VIDEO) 

Restrictions in place by the UK government to tackle the coronavirus pandemic have meant that most gyms across the country have closed their doors which, along with limits being placed on the numbers of people permitted to congregate in groups, has meant that people have been compelled to find alternative means in which to stay fit, active and healthy.

However, Tyson Fury has found a workaround to this. The WBC heavyweight champion has begun posting videos of him exercising to his social media channels in which viewers are invited to join along with him as runs through various techniques like jumping jacks,

Source: RT 

Primary postponed & quarantine mulled as New York Covid-19 death toll JUMPS by 209 in one day & number of cases blasts past 50,000 5

The death toll from the Covid-19 infection in New York increased by 209 on Saturday, while the number of people infected with the virus rose to 52,318. The state’s presidential primary was also pushed back until June.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced in a press conference on Saturday that a total of 728 people in New York have now died due to the illness. The number of confirmed cases also surged past the 50,000 milestone as it spiked by 7,683 on Friday’s total of 44,635. The increase represents a 17 percent jump on the previous day’s figure.

US President Donald Trump said earlier in the day that he was considering imposing a quarantine on New York, New Jersey and Connecticut in a bid to clamp down on the disease.

Governor Cuomo said that Trump has approved the construction of four additional temporary hospital sites in New York City, which will boost the state’s supply of hospital beds by 4,000. He also called on pharmacies to start delivering medications to homes free of charge.

New York has accounted for roughly a third of the death toll and half the known cases of Covid-19 in the United States.

Cuomo also used the press conference to announce that he was postponing the state’s presidential primary from April until June due to the outbreak.

“We have been behind this virus from day one. We are waiting to see what the virus does,” Cuomo told the assembled media. “You don’t win on defense. You win on offense. You have to get ahead of this.”

Saturday also saw UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres announce the donation of 250,000 protective face masks to New York City, where the intergovernmental organization has its headquarters.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Source: RT 

The Russian authorities may have put the final nail in the coffin for the UFC’s plans to go ahead with the Khabib Nurmagomedov versus Tony Ferguson bout, after locking down all the country’s borders.

The Russian government announced on Saturday that all travel into and out of the country – including by rail, boat, car and even pedestrian – would be closed as the nation bids to stave off the spread of the deadly Covid-19 pandemic.

The state order said that the measure was “temporary,” but provided no indication as to when the border traffic will resume.

READ MORE: Russia to ban ALL cross-border travel over Covid-19 pandemic

The Russian authorities had already shut down all regular and charter international flights from Friday, with the only exceptions for flights repatriating its citizens.

The news of the latest measures is yet another apparent blow to UFC boss Dana White’s plans to press ahead with the lightweght title match-up between Khabib and Ferguson set for April 18.

Russian lightweight ruler Khabib is currently in his homeland, having recently returned from the US after his American Kickboxing Academy in San Jose, California, was effectively shut down.

UFC boss White has claimed that a

Source: RT 

Russia has learned to survive Western sanctions and managed to accumulate enough funds to keep its economy afloat for several years even if oil prices continue to decline.

In a recent report, rating agency Moody’s said the Russian economy is less vulnerable to oil market shocks triggered by the coronavirus outbreak and the row between Moscow and Riyadh.

“Russia is best-prepared of all the oil-producing countries, as our economy has been living in an economic war mode for 6 years,” the president of the Russian-Asian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, Vitaly Mankevich, told RT.

Also on rt.com Russian economy can survive for a long time with oil at $20 per barrel

Analysts say that flexible exchange rates allow Russian oil companies, which enjoy relatively low production costs (around $15-20 per barrel), to offset the decline in revenue. While analysts believe crude prices are unlikely to break that low threshold, they say that a drop below $40 per barrel is already bad for the Russian economy, while $30 is even worse.

“It will be a disaster [for the Russian economy] if oil companies become unfeasible, that is, when oil prices drop lower than 15 dollars per barrel,” Sergey Suverov, chief

Source: RT 

Automobile, railway, pedestrian and river checkpoints on the Russian border will go on a lockdown on Monday in order to prevent Covid-19 from spreading across the country, the government has announced.

The order said that the measure was “temporary,” but provided no indication as to when the border traffic will resume.

The border ban doesn’t apply to diplomats or members of official delegations departing from the country. Russian truck drivers serving international routes, as well as the crews of trains and river vessels, will be able to return home. Exceptions will also be made for the residents of the Baltic Sea exclave of Kaliningrad, as well as Russian passport holders living in the People’s Republics of Donetsk and Lugansk in eastern Ukraine. 

Russia has been recently taking a large-scale effort to tackle the highly contagious disease, which included canceling all regular and charter flights in and out of the country.

Also on rt.com Russia presents Covid-19 TREATMENT based on existing anti-malaria drug

The whole next week had been declared a paid nationwide holiday, with the public advised to stay indoors. Restaurants, parks, cinemas and other establishments where large groups of people can gather, except the most essential ones, will

Source: RT 

Conor McGregor has called for the Irish military to take to the streets in his latest message designed to galvanize public support in Ireland for measures implemented by the government to mitigate the spread of Covid-19.

The former UFC champion has been fiercely vocal this week in his various messages calling for solidarity amongst the Irish public in observing governmental practices to help fight the virus, and doubled down on that stance following a public address by Irish Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar.

It was announced on Friday evening that Ireland is entering a two-week ‘lockdown’ period, in which people are required to stay at home for the majority of the day and only permitted to leave their homes in instances of emergencies, for the retrieval of essential supplies like food and medication and for brief exercise within a 2km (1.2 mile) radius of their homes.

Also on rt.com Conor McGregor buys $1million worth of protective equipment for Irish hospitals to fight Covid-19

Further measures announced include expressly forbidding people over the age of 70 from leaving their home under any circumstances (again, unless it is an emergency) – but, as with any guidances such as these, they will

Source: RT 

With the global sporting calendar currently on pause due to the coronavirus pandemic, former pro footballer Gary Neville and professional provocateur Piers Morgan have very contrasting views on how and when to resume play.

With the English Premier League – and indeed all major football leagues across the globe – currently suspended due to the outbreak, football fans are in a state of uncertainty as to how, or if, the current football season can be completed.

Football authorities in England had initially outlined an April 3 date to return to action but that has since been extended to April 30. However, with the pandemic worsening and further measures being implemented across swathes of society to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 many are suggesting that it looks increasingly unlikely that the reason can be resumed with enough time to complete the unplayed fixtures in advance of next season.

Also on rt.com Coronavirus crisis offers football a glimpse of a brighter, more egalitarian future

The one-year postponement of this summer’s European Championships leaves open a potential window in which games might – in theory – be able to be played (if the situation is deemed safe) and has led to something